Sunday, August 19, 2007

A Cereus Party!





The two years that we have lived next to my most amazing neighbor Adrienne, she has hosted a Cereus Party. (And yes, I know how to spell serious!) You can't plan this event in advance. It's completely up to mother nature, but when it happens... oh, boy! The most amazing event takes place. This gangly, unruly (truly, ugly plant) produces the most magnificent bloom you will ever have the opportunity to see. It gives off the most intoxicating, heady frangrance too. (Can you tell I'm into this?) The catch? It only happens once! By morning the bloom is spent. The party starts around 8 pm and lasts until midnight. During this time you actually see this flower bloom. In it's full glory it's about 8" across. Truly amazing! The best part? I have been entrusted with a cutting that I will carefully transport on our move to Texas. You will always be thought of Adrienne when we gather around our own plant to watch the miracle unfold. Anybody up for a Cereus Party?

1 comment:

My name's Haley said...

I love it! How beautiful.